A local yacht club reached me by email in fall 2010, interested in building a Glen-L Tubby Tug for their boat show in 2011. It would be used for photos, some advertising, and just as a little mascot for entertainment. We have a general agenda for it, and he had purchased plans, so off the project went. Unfortunately, the camera I had went MIA, so no photos happened early on. The commissioner of the project has provided a camera , so we have documentation here.

We will start with the biggest mishap first. Interlux Pre-Kote and epoxy do not mix, period. After using a sander, scraper, and various other tools of destruction, I got 3 coats of Interlux Brightsides on the boat, and I am reasonably pleased with the results.

Tubby Tug

There are some humps and bumps, nicks and gouges, but the paint laid down well.

Tubby Tug

A couple days later, a crew was recruited for the turn, bringing her right side up and ready for action.

Tubby Tug

What was nice is a combination of some free time and ready weather. This allowed for the completion of pre-coating the compartment spaces, prepping the interior tape to be faired, and exterior fairing for the final bit of fiberglass on the bulwarks.

Tubby Tug

This will protect the wood, as well as give a hint of her construction technique to the trained eye.

Tubby Tug

A good friend popped by, asking if help was needed, so of course I said “Yep, this is a sander…” He was pleased to be on the business end of it, not to mention glad to come back by the following day to get about double the work done that I had planned for the day. This might just be the combination needed to get her done and looking good by the deadline. Here is the complete foredeck in place and gluing, using the Heavy Stuff clamp:

Tubby Tug

And aft

Tubby Tug

Final exterior tape was placed, which went alarmingly fast with two sets of hands. Jason is a quick learner, and stepped right in doing a great job.

Tubby Tug

Using the extra available time, the cabin parts were sanded and cleaned up, then with a few minutes to spare, the cabin front was preassembled with silicon bronze screws and the temporary bracing to get the legs square.

Tubby Tug

Leave a Reply