Went out and finished up the prep work on the inside of the hull. Its looking quite ready for glass on the interior! All the tabs have been sanded down, the butt blocks roughed up for adhesion, and the edges raduised a scoche for my own personal sanity.

Overall:

Filleting went well. There really are relatively few places that need a big (13mm or 1/2″ radius) fillet laid in, so this was cake. Nice mixing Marinepoxy from Boatbuildercentral really did the trick.

I didn’t think about taking pics until after the filleting was done. Ironically, it was done at about 11:30 this morning! I hadn’t anticipated it going so smoothly or quickly, so I was enthused. A whole afternoon left….

Out came the prevously cut tape. Started rolling everything out, checking fit here and there. Hell, why not, I bet I can get this taped today too! I threw one layer out, then remembered that I do have a camera, and a blog that occasionally gets read by moderately interested people.

The transom fillets:

The bow fillet (note how it tapers to nothing as the bow gains its fullness):

Then began taping in earnest. The fillets were still quite tacky, but not wet anymore. This (if you are doing a similar project) is a convenient fact to keep in mind. I could immediately lay my tape out, even in the 2 and 3 layer fashion required, and stick it in place loosely until I got the saturating epoxy on it. EXTREMELY helpful part of working “wet on wet” as they say. Saved me at least an hour or two of prep work, and a couple hours of sanding time.

Picked up the camera during a glove change:

When I finished all my tidying up and cleaning off of the supplies, I then degloved to shoot pictures of my handiwork. This is partly for your informative pleasure and mostly for my inflating ego.

Aft, closer.

Cramped

This was one of the tougher pieces of glass I’ve ever had to lay. Due to the fact that I was going to lay both sheets in one day, and I wasn’t going to climb around all over one wet one and one dry one, I laid both simultaneously. Not easy, but effective.

The bow sucked, not very easy to get everything perfectly tight and dry. Im glad I switched over to the medium speed hardener. It did however get put down and relatively close to a 50/50 resin-glass ratio in most places. The corners, eh, not so much. Little wetter.

Finished product:

The bow overlaps:

From the front showing some of the sexy curves on this boat:

I’ve been asked about the filleting tool before, so here it is. It was a piece of hollow dowel that held a railing off the wall in my house. I cut a 1/4″ slice off it, and epoxied it to a scrap of mahogany taper that was going to be burned anyways. This tool makes smooth, clean fillets in just about any corner, it’s just a hair bigger than what the designer reccomends, but just makes beautiful fillets. I reccomend making one.

All the guts mocked up, tape cut, and prepped for fillet/tape:

Bow sections filleted and taped up:

Laying fillets in the passenger area:

Filleting the engine compartment and slopwell:

Taping begins in earnest… The main passenger area:

Taped up motorwell and splashwell:

I was fumed up and feeling artistic. This is one of the flotation/storage wells on the side:

Feeling triumphant at the end of a 9 hr glassing frenzy:

Leave a Reply